Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 34

Chiico is in Albany.  I am in Bristol.  This is challenging.  This is how it is best right now. 

School is going well.   I have an incredible group of colleagues with whom I work.  Incredible.  The work is plentiful and rewarding.  I see students and adults doing great work each day in many arenas.  

Rehab is also going well.  It must be such hard work.  Let's remember that two days ago Chico had transfered himself to a chair and back (gotten out of bed) exactly two times.  Now he spends three hours per day out of his room and in therapy.  It must be excruciating and exhausting.  He now dresses and bathes himself.  His pic line was removed today.  He is pushing himself.  He is concerned that he can't walk the length of a room.  The fact that he can walk at all astonishes me.  He has goals about when he wants to come home, and about what he will be able to do when he gets here.

I will rejoin him tomorrow night.  I can't wait.  He hopes to go outside this weekend.  I can hardly imagine it.

I shall embed a photo he asked me to "keep in my pocket" until I was home and needed to post something interesting.  It is gorey, so if you don't want to see it, exit now.  

Also, upcoming blog schedule:  since we are now apart (barring emergencies of any kind) during the week, and together only on weekends, I commit to an abbreviated blog schedule.  I plan to post on weekends and then once or twice during the week.  I can't stress enough how helpful it is to us to have you keep up with us via this medium.  Also, let me know if you want to visit Chico now.  The visiting hours have become strict but he could probably use some visitors these days during the week.

If you'd like to send him a card:
Garland Martin
E816 (Rehab Unit)
Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208

He hopes to be home mid October.  I can't wait! 

Here is Chico's foot on Day 32.  Note the pins coming right on out of toes 4 and 5.  Painful.  He needs an orange flag on them.
 
On the phone Chico told me that he walked thirty feet today.  Startling.

3 comments:

  1. Susan, you and Chico are in my thoughts daily. It sounds like great albeit painful things are happening. I am glad that Chico is making strides in his healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the smile in the picture is so awesome Chico!
    congratulations on all the progress and good thoughts for you.
    Must feel SOOOO great to be able to be out of bed some.
    Your foot looks really icky. and I'm thinking it actually looks really good right?
    lots of love-
    su

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be really hard to walk knowing if you don't get it right those pins will alert you! Youza! I think you are right to keep setting goals for yourself...don't get down if you miss them but they are good guideposts! Will be nice to have Suze around now and we cant wait to have you back. The road crew has been busily fixing up the yards and driveways in preparation for your arrival :)
    love, pam

    ReplyDelete