Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuesday

I missed the early rounds today but I was here for the later ones.  One of the 'Plastics' surgeons who has cared for us all this week came in. I always feel like he is coming to the rescue when I see him.  No nonsense whether or not he has good news.  Warm.  He said the surgery went 'much better than expected.'  How thrilling!  In this world of uncertainty, a strong statement goes a long way.

I guess each of the doctors we come to know inspires a particular impression. Each one has been uniquely heroic and incredible. This guy's manner is warm, straightforward, directive. He inspires confidence; his presence soothes.

The pain and exhaustion of last night made it difficult to assess the situation.  What a difference the morning light can bring. We feel relieved. 

Chico and I talk about how these doctors interact wtih us, and how we might bring some of this learning to our own jobs.

I'm heading out tonight for our first day of school tomorrow in Vermont.  Can't wait to go, loathe to leave. 

We'll have a rich day.  Hope you do too.

3 comments:

  1. Great progress! Sounds like both of you are making something positive out of a really challenging situation. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan and Chico. I've been thinking about you guys a lot since I heard of Chico's accident. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a quick transfer home to Vermont.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are thinking of you both and send our love and positive energy. Best wishes, Susan, on the start of the school year at Monkton and please don't hesitate to reach out if you need help of any sort...
    Jim and Carol

    ReplyDelete