Saturday, August 28, 2010

Photos

Ok, whiling away the non emergency hours I created a slide show at my friend, Erin's request.  She's actually my blog mentor.  Feel free to check it out.  Though it is far from perfect, it might be interesting.  I would suggest getting rid of the cartoons.  I cannot set it up without them, and trying to do that was the most time consuming part. Come to think of it though, the cartoons aren't that out of place.  When we were in SICU, Chico marveled several times about the cartoon characters he'd see as he woke up.  I hadn't thought of that.


It is weird to be so exposed but I think important to show some of the people and places that live in Chico and that he has seen recently (when we've had a camera handy).  Know that we love so many of you with whom we have not spent time this summer.  The family shots in Las Cruces were taken on and around the day of my father in law's burial.

Chico is doing well.  Any one of his minor wounds or bruises would set me complaining for a week. For that matter he'd be sleepless about any one of them as well. I just keep discovering more of them and we realize how they (the nearly bitten through tongue, the stapled arm, for example) would be huge and significant were they not sharing the body with the likes of a busted femer, tibia, fibula, foot, etc.

Possible surgery tomorrow.  Chester flies home to DC.  I hope to do a little work.  We remain intemittently ecstatic to be here so grateful are we.

Thanks for picking up the comments.  It really helps me and us get through these days.

5 comments:

  1. Good morning. I prepare to fly out and am thankful for these updates. I missed both of these yesterday as I was away from the computer the entire time. I arrived here exhausted. Jesse ended up asking me to stay until 8:00 p.m. in New Haven. It was apparent he didn't really want me to leave at all and would prefer if I lived 10 miles away. Pretty sweet. He says to wish Chico the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I look at the picture of the tree Chico encountered, I can't help wondering what a few feet in either direction would have meant. It reminds me of this story.

    Good Luck Bad Luck!

    There is a Chinese story of a farmer who used an old horse to till his fields. One day, the horse escaped into the hills and when the farmer's neighbors sympathized with the old man over his bad luck, the farmer replied, "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?" A week later, the horse returned with a herd of horses from the hills and this time the neighbors congratulated the farmer on his good luck. His reply was, "Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?"

    Then, when the farmer's son was attempting to tame one of the wild horses, he fell off its back and broke his leg. Everyone thought this very bad luck. Not the farmer, whose only reaction was, "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?"

    Some weeks later, the army marched into the village and conscripted every able-bodied youth they found there. When they saw the farmer's son with his broken leg, they let him off. Now was that good luck or bad luck?

    Who knows?

    Everything that seems on the surface to be an evil may be a good in disguise. And everything that seems good on the surface may really be an evil. So we are wise when we leave it to God to decide what is good fortune and what misfortune, and thank him that all things turn out for good with those who love him.

    Author Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chico and Susan,
    where are the photos you mention?
    I have begun packing for iceland and russia
    I get nervous. someone sends a note
    (after I mention population of iceland
    divided people sheep puffins elves) to be
    careful of elves. But I think as to elves
    I am not sure about nordic ones, or maybe it
    is about the people, not sure they have enough
    of the right sort of imagination as much as the
    irish do to sustain them in a good way...yet
    it does seem to be something icelanders take
    pride in "the hidden people" ...I dont know.
    I hope my old hosanna friends timothy
    and olga zolotusky , priest there for 5 years
    now almost no russians, sort of plummy job
    you get if you are a jewish hosanna member maybe
    but it is a lovely place.
    as to faeries etc jan perkins remembers an irish
    fella telling him of local sightings and then
    saying 'you know, someone without imagination
    would not understand these things.'
    rambling along but ... anyhow this to say hello
    today yours
    seraphim

    ReplyDelete
  4. broken thoughts in previous
    1) I am not nervous about elves just about life
    which comes more to surface when about to travel
    2)what I hope for Tim ,left unnoted, is that his
    english has improved. for myself also come to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Susan and Chico,
    As I read though the latest updates on Chico I can't help but marvel at your strength and beauty. I've noticed that you have included a "Chicoism" in most posts, which brightens what could be a dark story. I hope to meet this incredible man someday...

    Not a day goes by that you don't pop into my mind. There is always something that sparks a memory or reminds me of you. Please know you're in my thoughts. Safe travels to Chester.

    Be well,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete